Sunday, January 22, 2017

Of Faith and Fairies



            Sometimes the wind whispers different things to me. Often it brings scents, memories of places I’ve forgotten or never been, places that the wind tells me call my name. I know the wind mostly as an instigator, a force effective at stirring up the sediment in my soul. Today, though, the wind softly fingered my tired, sick body and traced peace along my skin. It wiped away the dangling threads of doubt and fear, blew away dusty tiredness, and carried the humid promise of newness.
Like the weather for much of this strange winter[1], this season is nothing like what I anticipated, what I spent years preparing for. There is a rightness to it and no regrets, no doubting of the turns I’ve made on the road to this point, but there are things buried at the bottom of my pack that carry more weight the further I walk. If this were a Märchen path, these would be the oddly assorted items given by an equally odd assortment of personages[2], and the purpose of each would become clear as it was needed. How can this bit of skill and that knick-knack of passion ever combine? How does such a strangely cut piece of knowledge find a purpose? And I find myself in the same position as that heroine-princess trusting that gifts given from a true heart and held by a heart pursuing truth are not in vain. Each will, in its turn, yield necessary if wholly unexpected aid.
Märchen, or what is more commonly known as Fairytale[3], and I have a long and happy relationship. Many of my favorite stories are lesser-known tales[4] which perhaps is why the illustration comes so readily to hand. Unless you’ve gone past the familiar childhood representations, it’s easy to discount a love of fairy tales as childish romanticism. The thing is, it is yet another means I’ve found of deepening my faith. Like that princess away from her true home[5], I operate in faith, walk in trust, and live in hope. There have been some pretty gnarly forests I’ve walked through, friends wearing masks, many surprising guides and (seemingly) illogical solutions, yet I’ve seen my King’s heart of love for His people and that is what shapes my daily response. He is just, He is faithful, He is loving. He does not lie or play games. So while I continue to forge ahead, walking under a thousand skies of wind and unsure of what future turns to make, I remember His heart and have hope; I feel His wind and have peace.
           
He who forms the mountains, who creates the wind,
            And who reveals his thoughts to mankind,
            Who turns dawn to darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth—
            The LORD God Almighty is his name.  Amos 4:13

Jokes of death and taxes aside, this is the only surety that life offers: there is a King, and the boundary between His kingdom and the world is starkly black and white. His people are far from perfect and experience the full measure of worldly ills; we are far from home. How sweet that homecoming will be, but oh, what adventures in getting there!

Faye


[1] When can you ever open your windows on a 65° day in JANUARY in Indiana??
[2] Usually 3 people, following the “Rule of Three.” Read here for a discussion about the principle.
[3] George MacDonald says it well in his essay The Fantastic Imagination, “That we have in English no word corresponding to the German Mährchen, drives us to use the word Fairytale, regardless of the fact that the tale may have nothing to do with any sort of fairy.”
[4] King Thrushbeard for one. Read it. You won’t be disappointed. There’s a version available here.
[5] Hebrews 13:14- For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment