Sunday, February 12, 2017

Accessorizing



                Thank the Lord, today we have sunshine! I cannot express how welcome it is, that soft, gloriously warm embrace. It’s like being wrapped in a weightless, finest-of-fine blanket; it makes my blood smile & sigh with happiness. I do love winter—it’s my 2nd favorite season, but I find that the dark days necessitate reminders of sunshine and bright times. With bright textiles of all kinds, winter is a good time to accessorize.
One thing you’ll notice about the genre if you spend much time there is that Märchen comes packed with accessories. Like a well-dressed, classy lady, each tale has a smattering of select items that complement the character and are never tacky. Wise protagonists receive these as gifts, usually magical in a specific way, and protect them until their use becomes clear. Magic rings, bottomless sacks, flowers, scarves, mirrors, telescopes, fish whose mouths yield oddly practical or valuable items… the form they take is endless and varied. The two at the top of my list, though, are a certain pair of shoes and a book.
Picture an ugly, worn pair of boots, leather, brown, scuffed and muddy, in an antique store. They’re too big for you, but you slip them on anyway. It used to be a favorite game as kid, wearing Mom’s sparkly heels or Grandpa’s giant slippers that looked like bear paws. First you stand familiarizing yourself with the fit, admiring the silliness of the look and imagining what it would be like to own the shoes, to know their stories and the experiences they’ll take you through. And then you take a step toward the mirror and zip you no longer stand in a familiar space.  The speed of the movement keeps you off balance. Step zip step zip step zip until you are totally lost. Your thoughts take some time to catch up and with their return comes the realization that you are wearing a pair of SEVEN LEAGUE BOOTS. These babies can take you to the action, and quickly, for every step you take goes a distance of seven leagues[1].
Keep your Prada—I’d take those unprepossessing seven leaguers any day!
Rewind now to browsing the local antique store. Tucked away with old copies of Nancy Drew is another plain item, again one that does not draw the eye except for its quietness and the worn demeanor of being well-loved and oft-read. No title is apparent, so you flip through it to assess the story. The first several pages are promising, so the book goes home with you (after you somehow get back to the store and pay for the boots and book, following your little adventure). This time it takes months to realize what exactly now rests on your shelf. You so enjoyed the story that you go back to it a few months later to reread it but- horror[2]!- the story is gone! In its place is another. Then another. Then another. Every time you read it cover to cover, the story changes and is replaced with a new one. This precious book that would put Barnes & Noble out of business is an undending story book.[3] [4]
Second glances—second chances—can make a radical difference. Neither the boots nor book are much to look at, but then, how many of the things and people we treasure do we value primarily for appearance? It is in life as it is with these boots and book—you have to take things on, turn a lot of pages, before you realize their priceless nature. Faith and a relationship with God can be the same way. It’s a relationship after all, and just like human ones takes time, effort, errors, and forgiveness. One of the lessons that I most treasure from last year is that I’d become too comfortable with my perception of God. I had limited Him and grossly watered down His brilliant glory and power; I had unknowingly taken & distorted a perceived image of Him and attempted to create something I could control. This is not easy to confess and still carries pain for me, despite knowing I am forgiven. Here is an excerpt of something I wrote at the time:

…this is all in answer to my prayer, isn’t it? The one about “breaking You out of my box?” And You’re telling me You were never in it, it’s too small and limited. I did worse than that old highwayman, stretching or hacking off bits of his victims so they fit his table. I blindly and misguidedly took bits & pieces I could handle and made them into a Frankenstein god I thought to contain in the finite box of my understanding then became frustrated when my creature wasn’t as expected, and even worse, walked away from You in anger because of it….what lies I have created and sold myself to. This is about healing not about a box or work or where I live or what’s next. This is about restoration because of unfathomable LOVE because that’s Your business and that’s YOU.
                 My faith is muddy boots and ratty books; battered treasures that took second glances to become second chances. They are reminders of bright days when I recognized & was forgiven of my transgressions. May you know the value of a double-take, whether it be of an acquaintance, an opportunity, or your own heart. In the same way, don’t let the dark days of winter with their fiercely cold winds howl through and leave ice in your heart, blinding you to the truth that life has more than winter. Find those remembrances of warmth and goodness, and cling to them even if it singes your clothes. The soot stains and burn marks will be more precious than any accessory you could buy, I promise.


[1] According to a very quick Google query that’s equal to roughly 24 miles.
[2] Yes, horror. Have you ever lost a story you’d fallen in love with? It’s horrible.
[3] I’ve been unable to find a reference to this outside Gail Carson Levine’s Ella Enchanted. Märchen is Märchen in my book though, no matter the vintage.
[4] The magic book reminds me of a favorite verse: “Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” John 21:25

No comments:

Post a Comment